Monday, July 14, 2008

We're On Vacation...

Well... I promised pictures and daily updates about our vacation and obviously that hasn't happened:(! There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day!!! But so far...

WEDNESDAY, JULY 9th... (Megan's 17th Birthday)
4am - the alarm went off and I got busy getting dressed and getting kids ready so we could head to the airport. We made it in plenty of time and caught our flight to Dulles International Airport in our nation's capital. When we were landing Wyatt was looking out the window and I told him that we were landing in the city that our
president lived in. His response, "Well, what do you know! I've always wanted to visit the White House!" My parents picked us up at the airport and we headed for Centreville, VA.
4pm - We met up with my brother, sister-in-law and two nephews for a family picnic, portrait and birthday dinner. We have three July birthdays in the family so we celebrated all of the birthdays and smiled pretty for the pictures.

THURSDAY, JULY 10th (Nephew, Connor's 5th Birthday)
We slept in a little bit and then headed into the city to do some sightseeing! I vowed I wasn't doing any sightseeing this trip, but when my little guy asked so very sweetly to go see the White House, how could I say no? What a trip!!! Parking, traffic and just general craziness are par for course! Wyatt loved seeing the White House and was very upset when he realized we weren't going to be invited in:)! We also saw many monuments, rode the subway and went to the Air and Space Museum. Our trip through the museum gave me a new vocabulary word: "wyattspeed":)

FRIDAY, JULY 11th On Friday we just hung out in the Northern Virginia area with my sister-in-law and nephews. The boys had such a good time being together! We also went swimming with a friend of mine that I've had since my parents lived there - her name is Wendy and she has two little girls. After spending a couple of hours with our boys she was very thankful God gave her two little girls:). On Friday evening my mom had a "Reunion Choir Rehearsal" - the church in Centreville where my dad used to be on staff was having a 50th Anniversary Celebration.

SATURDAY, JULY 12th - Today was all about the picnic at church - there were inflatables for all of the kids and so many old friends to visit with. This is the church my parents attended (and my dad was on staff) when Megan was born and so many people couldn't believe she is already 17 - I agreed wholeheartedly when they asked where the time went - I don't know!!!

SUNDAY, JULY 13th - This morning was the 50th Anniversary Service for Centreville Baptist Church -what a sweet time of fellowship. The service was held under a huge tent that had room for 2000 people - it seemed that the tent was almost full. Since Wyatt isn't used to attending services (our church has children's worship for kids his age), we came armed with many choices for him to remain occupied. After the service we grabbed a quick lunch and then headed back for naps. While Megan and I took naps, Wyatt, Papa and Gramma went to the Dulles Airport Air and Space Museum annex. Wyatt loved the stealth bomber and the many military planes. We ended the evening by having dinner with Dianna (my sister-in-law) and my nephews, Brendan and Connor. Sunday evening was bittersweet as it was our last evening together.

MONDAY, JULY 14th - On to the next stop - Louisville, KY! My parents headed home, but Megan, Wyatt and I headed to Louisville, KY to visit my high school friends. We are here now and are having a great time - there is such comfort when you come "home" to those who have known you (and still choose to like you) for almost twenty-five years!

More updates to come and hopefully some pictures!!

No comments: