Monday, July 7, 2008

An Unwelcome Visitor:)

Just a few moments ago Megan was headed to the stable (where else does she go??). I heard the front door close, ok, really it was a small slam, but then I heard a very loud, very girly shriek followed by "MOM!!!". I went running to the head of the stairs and Megan is gasping for air as she is trying to holler "Wasp!" "There's a wasp!" "Look, I can't leave - there's a wasp!" While I was glad it isn't a burglar or anything like that, I don't like wasps very much either, so we found that we were in a little predicament - I'm upstairs, Megan is in the entryway and a wasp is hovering (menacingly I might add!) in between us.

Taking a deep breath I head downstairs because last week I bought wasp spray (I've seen some on our front porch over the past couple of weeks) and it is still in the family room where I dropped the bag when I came back from Home Depot. Carefully I make my way down the stairs keeping an eye on the wasp the whole time. He is headed up the stairs. I'm trying to move quickly and quietly without waving my arms around batting at it or shrieking at it - I didn't want him to notice me! Megan, however, is still shrieking at the top of her lungs. I grab the wasp spray, throw the lid to the side and head back to the entryway to destroy this creature! He's not there!! He doesn't appear to be in the dining room or in the kitchen or in the family room. So in our best stealth mode, Megan and I creep back up the stairs. She makes me go first. Wimp! She says it's because I had the wasp spray. Whatever! There we were, creeping around the upstairs hunting for the wasp!! Megan remarks that she can't believe we're playing hide and seek with a wasp - I counter that it is NOT hide and seek, it is "search and destroy"!

We walk around the upstairs and can't find the wasp - we go for a second trip and still can't find the wasp (Ok - so maybe it was a little like hide and seek!) Then Megan says, "Look for Francis (that's our cat) -he'd be freaking out if the wasp was up here." We find Francis in the toy room, head bobbing to the rhythm of a trapped wasp - there he was - in the corner of the window trying to escape!!! Megan starts shrieking again and "Combat Mama" goes to work - spraying and spraying and spraying!!

The poor wasp quickly hit the windowsill and continued to try to esape and "Combat Mama" continued to spray. It finally fell over on its back and waved surrender. At least that's what it looked like he was doing - probably he was just dying a slow painful death from the mounds of chemicals that I'd sprayed on him. FINALLY!!! He was dead. Of course he didn't totally give up the ghost until I sprayed him with Windex as well - I had to clean the spray off of the window and windowsill and the toys that I'd gotten. When I smashed him in the paper towel I finally felt comfortable that the wasp was dead:) Score one for "Combat Mama"!!! Megan sighed a huge sigh of relief - she could finally leave for the barn!

As she headed back out the front door I stopped her...

"Megan!"

"Yeah?"

"That wasp represents sin."

"What??!?!"

"Just like that wasp was an unwelcome visitor in our home, sin is an unwelcome visitor in our lives."

"Mom, you're insane"

"No, really - that wasp came in this house and we knew immediately that he represented danger and pain and we worked quickly to get him out of our house. We stopped at nothing until he was dead."

"Umm, Mom, I haven't done anything bad lately, have I?"

"No, I just wanted you to know that the wasp is like sin. You have to recognize and search and destroy to get it out of your life."

"Am I supposed to scream too?"

Oh well. I tried!

No comments: