Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Camera, My Life

I always find it so interesting how the Lord gets my attention! I have a new camera, well, new since Novemeber of last year. It is pretty powerful and has so
many functions and programs and buttons, I get overwhelmed looking at all of them.
There is no doubt in my mind that the pictures I currently take are substandard
compared to what they could be if I were to take the time to read the manual and
follow the directions. I even have a dvd training guide that I can watch to learn
more about this camera and the ways to really use it up to its potential.

Today brought an unexpected surprise - time alone!! I'm having a little procedure
tomorrow and today I have to take some medicine and do some things in order to be
ready. A friend of mine called this morning and offered to take Wyatt for the day.
Megan is off with her own to-do list and so I've got the whole day to myself. WOW!!
I honestly can't remember the last time that happened. What an amazing thing to have a few hours to only take care of me:)!

We are going on a trip soon and I want to be able to take great pictures. In the back of my mind I've been trying to figure out when I could sit down and watch this
training dvd and read my camera manual. Short of between 10pm and midnight I had no solution. As soon as I realized I would be alone today I thought it would be the perfect time to sit down with my camera, the dvd and the manual. Excitement was building - I know it sounds crazy to ya'll - but taking pictures is one of my all time favorite things and I really want to get better at it. Learning how to use my camera as effectively as possible is part of that. So, here I am at home, alone and all ready to sit down in front of the tv when this little voice whispers in my ear. You know the voice - it is God checking to see if we're listening. Today I heard, "Hmmm..." That's it. "Hmmm..."

A deep sigh escaped because instantly it was clear to me exactly what the "Hmmm..." was all about. I'm on a trip currently - it is called life and I want it to be great - I want to have the best life possible! Don't we all? I want to have a life that is joy-filled and peaceful. Yet in my busyness, I keep plowing ahead, throwing a little patronizing glance at my Saviour from time to time hoping that those little moments will be enough to get me through. The parallel between my camera and my desire to use it as effectively as possible and my life are very apparent to me. Just as I cannot expect to have the best results possible with my camera until I sit down, read the instruction manual and go through the training dvd, so I cannot expect to have the best life possible until I take the time to get to know the One who gave me life. Having the best life while journeying in the seen, the here and now, is only a possibility when I am spending time with the instruction manual, aka God's word and I am interacting with Him. He is the giver of life, the author of life and therefore the One who is best able to teach us how to live life. The choice is mine at the moment... Am I going to use this time alone to get to know Him and dwell in His word or not? Hmmm...

John 10:10b, "... I am come that you might have life and that you might have it abundantly."

No comments: